[ns] advice

HI
      I am planning to use ns for my work.  I have two
questions.  First, does ns works in Window NT ?  I
have access to a Linux machine, is that easier or
better for me to install ns in Linux operated machine
?
   Second question is I want to implement a IP/ATM
network, is that possible ? I understood that I might
need to modify the code  !  Bu how difficult it will
be ?
      I need an advice from you, i.e. to be honest, I
don't knopw TCL scripts and C++, so, I am just
wondering if it is better for me to write the whole
code myself.  Many thanks

Best regards
Meow