Thamme Gowdatg@isi.edu | @thammegowda
4676 Admiralty Way #1001, Marina del Rey, CA 90292, USA
IPA: θʌmme gaʊdʌ | Kannada: ತಮ್ಮೇ ಗೌಡ | Telugu: తమ్మే గౌడ | Devanagari: तम्मे गौड
Quote : "... ಸರ್ವರೊಳು ಒಂದೊಂದು ನುಡಿಗಲಿತು, ವಿದ್ಯೆಯ ಪರ್ವತವೆ ಆದ." - ಸರ್ವಜ್ಞ (16th century)
... by learning one word of wisdom from each, he became a mountain of knowledge.
In the past too, I had the opportunity to work with amazing people from industry, academia, research labs, start-ups, and open source communities.
- 2016 - 2017 : Data scientist intern at NASA JPL (worked with Paul Ramirez, and Dr. Kiri Wagstaff )
- 2016 - 2017 : Research assistant at USC Information Retrieval and Data Science (worked with Dr. Chris Mattmann )
- 2013 - 2015 : Co-founder of Datoin.com (worked with Rakshit, Umar, and Monis)
- 2012 - 2014 : Full stack engineer at Simplyphi.com
- 2016 - Present : Committer and Project Management Committee member at Apache Software Foundation.
- 2017 (Summer) : Google Summer of Code 2017 Mentor for Apache Tika.
Quote: "What we want is a machine that can learn from experience..." - Alan Turing (1947)
My first neural MT system composed a sentence starting with 'In the Summer of World War Translation'..., I still have no idea what it meant. I will find a new task in AI ( or go back to do farming in my village, with robots) when mine or somebody's machine translator beats my translation of this poem , and generalizes well for other such languages.
Software EngineeringMy happiest moment was when a stranger at a conference said, 'thanks for writing that code and making it open'. Selected projects:
- Sparkler - Crawler on Apache Spark. Even the Google's query n-grams too has tied it to my name.
- Named Entity Recognition in Apache Tika. CoreNLP has shared a back link to this work.
- Object Recognition in Apache Tika.
Sometimes I post answers on stackoverflow.com (usually when I face a problem unsolved by anyone else.) In 2017, my profile was ranked within the top 4% for a programming language skills, and within 10% for few others.
- ACCEPTED - K. Wagstaff, R. Francis, T. Gowda, Y. Lu, E. Riloff, K. Singh, and N. Lanza. Mars Target Encyclopedia: Rock and Soil Composition Extracted from the Literature. Planned to appear in the proceedings of 2018 AAAI Thirtieth Annual Conference on Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 2018. Get PDF
- ACCEPTED - K. Wagstaff, Y. Lu, A. Stanboli, K. Grimes, T. Gowda, and J. Padams. Deep Mars: CNN Classification of Mars Imagery for the PDS Imaging Atlas. Planned to appear in the proceedings of 2018 AAAI Thirtieth Annual Conference on Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 2018. Get PDF
- ACCEPTED - K. Hundman, T. Gowda, M. Kejriwal, and B. Boecking Always Lurking: Understanding and Mitigating Bias in Online Human Trafficking Detection. Planned to appear in the proceedings of 2018 AAAI 1st Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Ethics, and Society, 2018. Get PDF
- T. Gowda, K. Hundman, and C. Mattmann. An Approach for Automatic and Large Scale Image Forensics. Proceedings of Multimedia Forensics and Security Workshop, Bucharest, Romania, June 2017. Get PDF
- K. L. Wagstaff, R. Francis, T. Gowda, Y. Lu, E. Riloff, and K. Singh. Mars Target Encyclopedia: Information Extraction for Planetary Science. Third Planetary Workshop, Flagstaff, Arizona, USA, June 2017. Get PDF
- T. Gowda and C. Mattmann. Clustering Web Pages Based on Structure and Style Similarity. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, July 28-30, 2016. Get PDF
- C. Mattmann, G. Yang, H. Manjunatha, T. Gowda, A. J. Zhou, J. Lou, L. McGibbney. Multimedia Metadata-based Forensics in Human Trafficking Web Data . Proceedings of the Workshop on Search and Exploration of X-Rated Information (SEXI) - 9th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining, San Francisco, California, USA. February, 2016. Get PDF